Honey is something I like very much, not just because it tastes good, but also for its many health benefits. Now before I go further, I just want to remind us that honey is a no no for infants below 12 months, this is because of the presence of Clostridium botulinum spores which could cause infant botulism. Infant botulism is a serious form of food poisoning characterised by constipation, poor feeding, muscle weakness, breathing problems, and in some severe cases death. Please keep honey away from infants.
That said, let's look at a few health benefits of honey;
- Honey relieves cough and sore throat.
- It has antibacterial properties. It has been shown to be effective against antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- Honey is used in the treatment of wounds and burns because it is a natural antiseptic. It heals with little or no scaring.
- Regular intake of honey can reduce your risk of cancer and heart disease.
- Applying a little honey on mosquito bites can help relieve itching and prevent infection.
- Unrefined honey is rich in various antioxidants. Antioxidants neutralise the damaging effects of free radicals in our bodies.
- Honey can be used as conditioner for the hair.