- Read the recipe carefully at least twice.
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
- Have all the equipment needed ready and in sight.
- Assemble all ingredients needed before you start mixing, this way you are less likely to forget anything.
- Prepare the cake pans as directed in the recipe. Make sure the pans are the size called for in the recipe, you don't want your cake to overflow.
- Pre-heat your oven.
- Follow the recipe closely. Bake this way for a while before attempting to modify a recipe or coming up with one of your own.
- Do not over bake. Once a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, remove from the oven. Over baking will produce a dry cake.
- Allow to cool in the pan for as long as your recipe calls for before turning onto a wire rack.
Enjoy your baking!