Beetroot is a highly nutritious ground-grown vegetable with a rich red colour. Betacyanin gives beetroot it's rich red colour. Beetroot is high in nutrients like phosphorus, manganese, potassium, magnesium, soluble fiber, copper, iron, folate and vitamin C.
It is probably because of it's high nutrient content that the nutritionist in my antenatal class encouraged us to take beetroot and carrot juice instead of sodas and other sugary juices. Many of us probably walk past this vegetable when we go to the supermarket or market (at least I know I used to), but let me give us a few reasons to stop and buy some and probably make it a part of our diet.
- Beetroot has been shown to be a blood cleanser.
- Helps lower blood pressure.
- Because beetroot juice increases the flow of blood to the brain, it may help slow down the progression of dementia.
- It may help fight off heart disease.
- Has powerful antioxidant properties.
- Good for treating anemia and fatigue.
- Good for muscle recovery.
- Betacyanin helps prevent cancer cells from forming.
- It is effective in fighting cancerous changes.
- Keeps hair healthy.
- Fights skin damage and premature aging.